In 2016, Paula’s son Walter had just started high school in Delaware when a friend offered him a cool-looking flavored e-cigarette that had just come on the market: a JUUL.
Walter, a twin, and one of Paula’s four children, was almost immediately addicted, often vaping multiple mango or menthol JUUL pods every day. Walter’s asthma, largely under control since childhood, returned with a vengeance: the more Walter vaped, the more severe his asthma attacks.
The final attack led to Walter’s death in September 2020, just a few days before his 20th birthday.
Tune in to this week’s episode to hear why Paula believes that publicly sharing her family’s tragedy will protect others--and is the most powerful way to fight back against an industry preying on teens.